Monday, January 18, 2010

Elderflowers


Elderflowers flower over Christmas and into the new year. Here in the south they are the fruits in season alongside strawberries, raspberries,cherries, apricots, red currants and so on.

Elderflowers are long-used as a de-congestant and containing essential oils. Elderflowers can inhibit mucus, help fight catarrh, soothe the tongue, mouth and throat, and are a good source of potassium.

I found some Elderflowers still flowering when I went for an impromptu walk to Moke Lake on Sunday 17 January. Last year I expressed to my mother how I was hoping to fill my marmalade making with making preserves out of southern fruits such like Elderflowers and Central Otago fruit, substituting my Auckland citrus fruit with Otago stone fruit, rosehips, quince ...

I picked two plastic bags full, bought sugar, citric acid and wildly expensive lemons from FreshChoice on my way back home and made Elderflower Cordial.

I am so happy I can tick this off on my list of things to preserve in the South Island and once more proud to announce that the Eichardt's Private Hotel are now serving my homemade elderflower cordial too.

Makes approx. 1.3 L

30 Elderflower heads (from Moke Lake)
4 lemons
1.5 Kg sugar
50 g citric acid
4 C water
Muslin cloth (Ask mum, buy at kitchen shop or use a nappy, pref. clean, which you can look for in your local charity shops, check out Salvation Army!)

Method

Add 4 cups of water to sauce pan. Bring to boil. Then add citric acid and sugar. Let cool. Once the syrup is cool at elderflower heads and let sit overnight. In the morning filter the syrup with muslin cloth and pour into sanitised bottles. Refridgerate or freeze.

Cost

Home Brand Sugar $2.50
Lemons .85 each(Queenstown only!Argh)
Citric Acid (good for two batches) $2.70

$10


How to use

Mix with water, a refreshing summer drink
Mix with soda water to make it a refreshing spritzer
Add gin to make a refreshing cocktail
Pour and freeze in icebock containers for cocktails
Make iceblocks for a summer treat, or use for dessert, see below.

No comments:

Post a Comment