Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Redcurrant jelly


On the same impromptu walk I took on Sunday 17 January as I was rambling I saw some cheeky redcurrants in the corner of my eye blinking at me through the tough Hawthorne.
Back home I decided to add it to my list of southern preserves to tick of my list and added redcurrant jelly to my things to do.
Delia Smith on the book shelf was ready and waiting for me, I searched its reverent pages for a redcurrant jelly recipe, looking like Jesus Christ nailed on the cross after sitting in the Hawthorns but nothing that Savalon cannot fix, and now am proudly displaying five jars of the crimson transparent delisciousness in my pantry.

Cheap as usual, buy a 3Kg bag of self owned label sugar from any supermarket(approx $5). I am making a lot of preserves now (apricot preserve is next)that I may as well buy a big packet of sugar to avoid another visit to the supermarket and keep up the sugar supply at home.

1.5 Kg
900g red currants

Method

Add red currants into a large sauce pan or preserving pan with stalks and all. Bring slowly to the boil, squeezing the berries as they are taking on heat.
Concurrently warm the sugar. Make sure the sauce pan, spoon or anything else you use for handling the sugar is not wet as the sugar will crystallise.

Once the berries are boiling gently, take them off the heat, add the sugar and stir until the sugar is fully dissolved. THe bring the whole mixtures back to boiling point (gently) and boil for 8 minutes.

Sanitise jars by boiling them with the lids in hot water and pour the jelly inside while they are still warm.

Serve with chicke, turkey, hogget, lamb, beef roasts and/ or on toast with a cup of coffee for a red hot loving brekkie.

No comments:

Post a Comment